The Australia 491 visa or regional (provisional)subclass 491 is a major replacement that has been made in place of visa subclass 489. This visa category is an apt choice for skilled professionals and their families who wish to live, work and settle in the regional areas of Australia for a period of 5 years. Well, it is not a type of permanent residency visa. However, visa 491 can be converted into a permanent visa post living of three years in Australia.
In order to apply Australia 491 visa subclass, you need to meet any one of the conditions such as:
- You must achieve a nomination certificate from an Australian State or territory or,
- You must be sponsored by any eligible family member who’s currently residing in a designated regional area of Australia
Benefits of Australia Visa 491
As 491 visa is a provisional visa that gives you priority to live and work in Australia, although the visa grants you some of the major benefits as summarized given below:
- You can apply for an Australian permanent residency visa that further will allow you to stay for an indefinite time period.
- You can get additional 15 points on the Australia point test through a Subclass 491 visa.
- More eligible occupations are available under 491 visa.
- The regional 491 visa facilitates you to live for five years on a temporary basis.
- Except for Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, the rest all the regional territories are considered in Australia 491 visa.
- You can enroll for healthcare and medicare facilities.
- You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want.
What are the Eligibility Requirements for Visa 491?
Applicants applying for visa Subclass 491 must meet the below-mentioned requirements to become eligible for visa subclass 491:
- You must be under 45 years of age at the time of visa lodgment.
- You must have a positive skill assessment.
- You must have a decent English language score.
- You also need to score minimum points requirements 65.
- You must have relevant full-time work experience in a nominated occupation listed on relevant ROL or RSMOL or SOL List Australia.
- You must agree to live and work in a regional area for at least five years. You must live, work and study only in regional areas and, if employer-sponsored, then only in a nominated position.
- You must invite by the department of Home affairs Australia.
- You must agree to complete at least three years in a designated regional area to become eligible for applying to different visa categories.
- You must meet health and character requirements.
- You may move only between the designated regional areas.
The Australia 491 visa application process
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 491 step by step process
- Create EOI:
- Apply for Regional Nomination:
- Received Invitation:
- 5Apply Visa subclass 491:
As an applicant, you must submit your Australia Expression of interest, but before creating your EOI, you need to make sure you must be meeting Australia visa subclass 491 eligibility criteria in term of minimum points requirements, your profile must be in demand, English language, Skill assessment outcome, etc.
Once you are in EOI, then Skill select will rank your profile where the minimum points requirement is 65 points as per the Australia points system.
Once you are in the pool, your profile will be accessible by DHA Australia and regional nomination bodies if you are nominated by a designated regional area. It is mandatory for the applicant, and all family members to live, work and study in only certain areas of Australia.
If you have an eligible relative in the designated area and they are willing to sponsor you, then you may also get an Invitation.
Once you receive an Invitation, then you have 60 days to apply for the visa. Please note DHA does not extend Invitation.
Now you can apply for your visa by paying the visa application fee and also need to provide documentary evidence to prove your claim.
Providing incorrect information, documents, or insufficient documents may lead to the rejection of your application.
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 491 Occupational List
The following occupations are eligible to apply for Australia 491 visa and another visa subclass also such as Australia visa189, Australia visa 190
To know more about the ANZSCO code, their qualification, skill level and employment requirements, please click here.
Individuals, who are qualified to work or train in an eligible skilled occupation in Australia and can meet all other requirements
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 491 Points calculator
The Australia visa subclass 491 is a point-based visa, and the minimum points required to be eligible for visa subclass 491 is 65 points as per the Australia points system. Please note if you are unable to score a minimum of 65 points, then you will not be invited to apply for the Australia visa subclass 491.
Australia visa subclass 491 points depend upon your
- Overseas qualification
- Australian Qualification
- Overseas work experience
- Australia work experience
- English language ability
- Specialist education qualification
- Credentialled community language
- Study in regional Australia
- Partner Skills
- Professional year in Australia
- Nomination or sponsorship
To check how many points can be awarded through Australia visa Subclass 491 calculator or points table.
Australia regional sponsor visa subclass 491 cost
The visa subclass 491 fee or cost may change at any time without prior notice, and the visa subclass 491 application cost totally rely on the date you are applying for the visa subclass 491 application. The entire 491 visa subclass fees have to be paid in Australian dollars (AUD) terms. Fee has to be paid either through a Debit card or through a credit card.
Please find the Visa subclass 491 visa fees and another cost associate in your application filing.
- Skill assessment Fee
- DHA fee
- Another cost associated with Visa subclass 491
- Second instalment charge
Skill assessment fee between $ 450 - $3000 (depend upon assessing authority)
Visa subclass 491 fees for primary applicant $ 4045.
Visa subclass 491 fees for spouse applicant $ 2025.
Visa subclass 491 fees for primary applicant $ 1015.
English Language Exam fee approximately Rs. 15000/- per attempt.
Medical examination fee approximately Rs. 5000/- per person.
PCC expenses or fee approximately Rs, 1000/ per person.
The second instalment charge for family members is AUD 4, 890.
Please note the second instalment charges only apply if any applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English.
Please note Department of Home Affairs Australia (DHA) has the right to revise the visa subclass 491 fees at any point in time
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa subclass 491 Processing time
We assess applications on a case-by-case basis, and actual processing times can vary due to individual’s circumstances, including:
- Number of applications received
- Has submitted a complete set of documents
- Paid correct visa application fee
- How long it takes to verify supportive documents
- Background verification
- How soon applicant responds to the queries raised by DHA
However current processing time of Australia visa subclass 491 is
- 60 % of applications are within 14 months
- 30 % of applications are within 18 months
- 10 % cases may vary depending upon their circumstances