Canada is transitioning to online LMIA applications.
As of April 2023, Canada's economic recovery has been challenged by critical labor shortages in various sectors such as healthcare, agriculture, hospitality, and transportation. To address these labor shortages, the Government of Canada is taking a balanced approach to improve the program, with measures designed to respond to emerging labor market needs while also protecting Canadian workers.
As part of its efforts to modernize the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and improve client service, Service Canada is transitioning to online Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications.
What is the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is a program used by Canadian employers intended to hire foreign skilled / trained workers when Canadian Employers are facing short-term skills and labor shortages, (between 18 months to 3 years) and only when no Canadians and permanent residents are available.
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), Permit employers in seven sectors with demonstrated labor shortages (such as accommodation and food services, construction, food manufacturing, agriculture, and health care) to hire up to 30 percent of their workforce through the TFWP for low-wage positions;
- Under TFWP, the Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA) validity period at up to 18 months; and,
- Maintaining the maximum duration of employment for low-wage positions at up to two years.
What is the LMIA Online Portal
The LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) Online Portal is an online reliable & secure portal provided by the Government of Canada to employers who want to hire temporary foreign workers. Employers can use this portal to submit an LMIA application to Service Canada.
What will be the benefits of transitioning to an online Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
There are several benefits of using the LMIA Online Portal for employers who wish to hire temporary foreign workers in Canada:
- Convenient and efficient: The LMIA Online Portal provides a convenient and efficient way for employers to apply for an LMIA, manage their account information, and receive updates on the status of their applications.
- Simplified process: The portal simplifies the LMIA application process, making it easier for employers to navigate the requirements and submit their applications online.
- Reduced processing times: The use of the LMIA Online Portal can reduce processing times, as the application can be submitted and processed more quickly online.
- Access to helpful resources: The portal provides access to helpful resources related to the LMIA process, such as guidance on completing the application and information on labor market trends.
- Increased transparency: The portal provides increased transparency by allowing employers to track the status of their applications and receive updates on any changes or requests for additional information.
- Cost-effective: The use of the LMIA Online Portal can be cost-effective, as employers can avoid the costs associated with submitting a paper-based application.
Overall, the LMIA Online Portal provides a user-friendly, efficient, and cost-effective way for employers to apply for an LMIA and hire temporary foreign workers in Canada.
What occupations/profiles can be hired by Canadian Employers under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)?
Canadian employers who want to hire Temporary Foreign Workers under TWFP must have a business number issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Before using the LMIA Online Portal, they have to create their own user account and register their business on Job Bank. To create an account, visit Job Bank’s page for employers
Following occupations may be hired by Canadian Employers under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)?
- Agricultural workers:
- Global Talent Stream
- Low wages
- Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program:
LMIA Processing time under Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)?
As of March 2023.
Global Talent Stream
9 Business Days
15 Business Days
Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program
12 Business Days
Permanent residence stream
25 Business Days
29 Business Days
33 Business Days
36 Business Days
Canada PR Experts
Canada Immigrants Success Stories
Aptechvisa Canada Success Stories
New Zealand PR Success Stories
Our Branch Offices
Our Media Mentions