New 2021 Resident Visa Provides Certainty To MigrantsPosted On: Fri, Oct 08 2021
On 30 September 2021, the Government of New Zealand recently announced for temporary work visa holders a new one-off residence visa pathway, who is currently staying in New Zealand. On a critical purpose, visa holders may also be eligible for this new visa only when they are arriving in New Zealand between 30 September 2021 and 31 July 2022. A change came that partners and dependents can be included as part of these residence applications. All applications must be submitted by 31 July 2022 online.
What are the conditions of the 2021 Resident Visa?
Applicants must be in New Zealand on 29 September, hold an eligible class of work visa, and meet at least one of 3 criteria:
- Earn $27 per hour or more
- Lived in New Zealand for 3+ years
- Work in a role on one of the scarcity lists, which can be described as:
- the long-term skill shortage list
- in health or education
- in personal care or other critical health care
- in a primary industry
On 29 September 2021 applicants must have met the criteria to apply for visa.
Note: If you are in Australia and have been unable to return to New Zealand by 29 September 2021, but fulfill all the eligible criteria then you may be considered eligible.
On 29 September all applicants must have been applied one of the following visas:
- Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Work Visa
- Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
- Post Study Work Visa
- Trafficking Victim Work Visa
- Work Visa granted under Section 61
- Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
- Essential Skills Work Visa
- Religious Worker Work Visa
- Talent (Arts, Culture, Sports) Work Visa
- Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa
- Migrant Exploitation Protection Work Visa
- Victims of Family Violence Work Visa
- South Island Contribution Work Visa
Some Critical Purpose Visitor Visas (CPVV):
- Critical health workers for 6 month
- Other critical workers for more than 6 month term.
The government strictly said that short-term visa holders are not eligible, such as working holidaymakers, visitors, students, and seasonal workers like those on the Recognized Seasonal Employer Scheme or those who enter as short-term critical workers.
Consideration points that is included in residence application
- Partners and dependent children currently, who’re outside New Zealand, are included in the residence application.
- All applicants must meet the heath and character requirements for the 2021 Resident Visa.
- Police verification certificates will not be required unless specifically requested by an Immigration Officer.
- Medical certificates will be required only in a specific case.
- Individual with occupation like fishing crew, agricultural and horticulture mobile plant operators and shearers, will not be eligible for residence visa.
Application processing date
The applications for 2021 Resident visa will be open in two phases,
- First phase is from 1 December 2021
- 2nd phase is from 1 March 2022
All applications must be made by 31 July 2022.
More information about fees and the application process will be available in October on the official website.
Those who are eligible to apply from 1 December 2021 will receive an email from Immigration New Zealand by the end of October with further information.