The Australian Immigration department is focusing on veracity of Australian Citizenship by proposing changes to Australian citizenship laws in September 2018.
The government initially announced these changes to be done in April 2017 and efforts were made too but it could not be completed because a bill was required to be drafted and passed through parliament first.
The proposed changes for Australian citizenship are as follows:
- An applicant must have lived in Australia on permanent residency for at least 4 years as opposed to 3 years
- An applicant must pass English language requirement test
- An applicant must pass new citizenship test this will strengthen the version of current test and is designed to assess the applicant’s understanding of, and commitment to, Australian values.
- The applicants are required to complete and pass the citizenship test in first attempt
- The applicants must prove their integration and contribution to the Australian community
Read more- The latest Australia immigration updates w.e.f 1st July 2018
However, the current requirements for Australian Citizenship are as follows:
Under General Legislation, applicants must have been in Australia for at least:
- Last 4 years on any temporary or permanent visa. During this time, no more than 12 months can be spent overseas ,and
- The last 12 months, on a permanent visa, with no more than 3 months spent overseas.
Along with above mentioned points, applicants require:
- To pass English test for Australian citizenship
- Applicants with current citizenship test are able to give test as many times as they want
- Applicants need to demonstrate that are of good character. If they are unable to do so, the immigration authority has right to refuse an application.
However, the proposed changes have not been implemented till yet and are in the pipeline to start soon.
Aptech Global is a leading immigration service provider for Australia. For further information related to migration process, fill the free assessment form and one of the visa experts will get back to you to discuss the case.
Also Read - 2500 Itas Issued By DIBP In Latest Invitation Round Results Dated 11.August. 2018!