Home  /  Canada News  /  canada will issue new temporary resident permits to family violence victims
Canada Will Issue New Temporary Resident Permits To Family Violence Victims

Canada Will Issue New Temporary Resident Permits To Family Violence Victims

Posted On: Sat, Jul 27 2019

The foreign-nationals victims of family violence can apply for a free-exempt temporary resident permit that will give them legal immigration status in Canada. The new rules for granting temporary resident permit came out on July 26. It allows the issuance of temporary resident permits (TRP) to victims and their dependent children for a minimum of six months.

The new rules apply to those people who have yet to obtain permanent residence and whose status in Canada is dependent upon their violent spouse/partner.

The Immigration Minister of Canada, Ahmed Hussen, in June state, that the objective of the new rules "is to provide protection for vulnerable foreign nationals who are victims of family violence or impacted by it, by regularizing their status in Canada, when appropriate."

To become eligible under this new law following factors will be considered:

  • Whether the foreign national is physically present in Canada and is a victim of physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse or deprived of basic amenities like food, clothing, medical care shelter, etc by their spouse or common-law partner.
  • Whether the foreign national is seeking permanent residence that relays on remaining in a genuine relationship with a partner/spouse who is abusive but the relationship is critical to the continuation of the individual's status in Canada. The Temporary Rresident Visa process is only available to foreign nationals residing in Canada.

Those applicants who are eligible for TFF for family violence will also be entitled to receive health-care benefits under Canada’s Interim Federal Health Program if they are not already covered by a public or private health insurance plan.

The TFP holders that are valid for at least 180 days will also be eligible for a free-exempt open work permit. IRCC says that they are expecting temporary resident permit cases through family class, however, cases outside the Family Class will still be considered.

For latest Canadian Immigration news and Canada PR chances, connect with visa and immigration experts of Aptech Global.


Our Success Stories