Canada’s Provincial Nominee Program continued to assert as the rising star of Canada’s economic immigration programs in 2018 and it is expected to play an even more prominent role in the coming months.
The Provincial Nominee Program or PNP allow skilled and qualified workers to come and settle in the particular province on permanent basis. A small portion of the enhanced programs are also processed through Express Entry System.
An express entry applicant receives additional 600 CRS points for successful provincial nomination that further boosts the Canadian immigration chances.
Provincial Nominations are also issued outside the Express Entry system through numerous PNP streams across Canada.
The Provincial Nomination Invitations are set to rise this year as well, though the numbers have not been released. The 2018 allocations were 34,700 nominations for nine Canadian provinces and two territories. In 2018 report to Canada’s Parliament, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) noted that the PNP has grown exponentially since its creation in 1996 when only 233 people were admitted through the program.
The admissions through the PNPs are projected to increase this year to 61,000 new permanent residents and reach 71,300 in 2021.
The following provinces key changes that were felt in 2018 are:
- Ontario, Canada’s most populous province had the largest individual PNP allocation of 2018 with 6,600 nominations that was later increased to 6850 in the end of 2018.
- The year 2019 may have even bigger allocation for OINP with increased 7,600 nominations from IRCC
- Ontario issued a total of 6978 invitations in 2018 to Express Entry candidates through the province’s three express entry-linked streams-the Human Capital Priorities Stream, French Speaking Skilled Worker Stream and Skilled Trades Stream.
- The human capital priorities stream alone issued 3719 invitations to Express Entry candidates in 2018 and another 1633 were issued through the French Speaking Skilled Worker Stream and 1,626 went to Express Entry candidates through the skilled trades stream
- A major change in the Human Capital Priorities Stream was the OINP decision to revise the requirement that Express Entry candidates have a ranking score of at least 400 points in order to be considered for the nomination. The OINP draw is now conducted as per the director’s requirement.Read More About Ontario PNP 2
The other significant development was the PNP development in 2018 was the introduction of new Express Entry-linked streams in the provinces of Manitoba, Alberta and Nova Scotia.
Manitoba and Alberta introduced their express entry-linked streams as part of a general overhaul of the provincial nominee program last year.
- Manitoba’s Express Entry stream has an Expression of Interest (EOI) system. The applicants applying for Manitoba must register a separate EOI profile with the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program.
- The MPNP invited 1,155 Express Entry applicants to apply for a provincial nomination in seven draws held between January 11 and July 9, 2018
Read More About Manitoba PNP 2019
- The Alberta Express Entry Stream was introduced in June and issued its first notifications of interest (NOIs) less than a month later on July 6.
- The stream allows the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program to search the Express Entry pool for eligible candidates with a CRS score at least 300 who are working in an occupation that supports Alberta’s economic development
- Candidates with a job offer and or/work experience in Alberta, a degree from a Canadian post-secondary institution and/or parent, child, or sibling already living in Alberta are prioritized
- The Alberta Express Entry stream gave total 596 NOIs to express entry applicants over the course of seven draws in 2018
Read More About Alberta PNP 2019
- The third Express Entry linked PNP stream created in 2018 was Nova Scotia’s Labour Market Priorities Stream that allows the applicants in the Express Entry pool having work experience in select occupations that are facing labour shortages in the province
- The labour market priorities stream issued 314 invitations to Express Entry candidates with eligible work experience as early childhood educators and assistants.
Read More About Nova Scotia PNP 2019
- The change of Express Entry and occupation in-demand sub-categories from ‘first come first serve’ to Expression of Interest (EOI) leading to draws at least once a month.
- The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) says these factors all play a determining role in a candidate future economic success in Saskatchewan.
Read More About Saskatchewan PNP 2019
PEI Refurbishes PNPs
- The Atlantic Province of Prince Edward Island (PEI) also revamped its EOI system in 2018
- PEI gives priority to those living and working in PEI though it also welcomes applicants in the federal express entry pool who do not have a job offer letter.
Therefore, Canada’s Provincial Nomination Programs are the most sorts after immigration programs taken by the applicants across the globe. If you wish to know your Canada PR chances it is suggested to fill the free assessment form.