Australia Immigration News
Home Australia Immigration Can 190 Visa Holder Change State

Can 190 Visa Holder Change State?

This is one of the most common questions asked with regard to Skilled Nominated Visa 190 that is whether you are bound to remain with the state/territory that nominated you in the first place.

The purpose of the Skilled Nominated Visa 190 is to provide an opportunity for the states to look out for the skilled workers who can contribute to their growing economy. If the government agrees to nominate you for an Australian visa (you get five additional points), in return you agree to live and work in that particular state/territory for the first two years of your life in Australia.

Therefore, it is very important to understand that the commitment made by you to your sponsor state is not a legal obligation but a moral one, where you made a promise to live and work in your sponsor state/territory for at least 2 years that has given you the additional points.

As your commitment is moral one, the sponsored state cannot stop you from moving to another state and most probably there won’t be any action against you. However, it is vital to understand that the case officers will save and consider all your current visa information when considering your case for any future visa application.

Thus, it is essential to scrutinize every reason of your leaving the sponsored state/territory to avoid any negative impact of any future visa application you make. You must have adequate and well-backed up reason to plan an interstate move. Mostly, in circumstances like these, the visa holder writes to the relevant state explaining the reason of shift to the other state and further requesting the state to release from the obligation.

The state will readily agree to let you move if you are able to demonstrate clearly that you have better working opportunities elsewhere which cannot be simply found at your present location.

Alternatively, if you are unable to find a suitable job, or there are any issues related to your community, then in that case you may put forward your concern to the state that nominated you to release from the obligation.

Therefore, before making your decision to move to other state, you must try to communicate the concerns with your present sponsoring state. Communication opens channels to all the problems and who knows- your problem might get solved by discussing it with the sponsored state.

What About Leaving State Without Notifying?

If you plan to leave state without updating State and Federal Governments with your address details, both will know that you haven’t fulfilled your commitment hence you are on a serious risk of missing out information related to your visa.

How Can Aptech Global Assist You?

If you are baffled up for trying every possible outcome to make things work in your sponsor state, but still are not successful, we suggest you to connect with one of the Aptech Global immigration experts before finalising your decision!
You may contact the experts on 7503832132 or mail your query at

Apply Faster!